Benefits of a Peer Mentor Program in a Post-Pandemic World
Benefits of a Peer Mentor Program
A post-pandemic global community should see a changed narrative with regard to the building of meaningful relationships between peers and between youth and those in authority over them. A Peer Mentor Program, implemented successfully, will result in preparing youth for life at school, in the community and beyond. The skills they learn will help them become positive influencers in their communities.
- Assisting younger students to settle into the school community quickly, thus feeling safe and secure.
- Younger students will develop a relationship with older students to whom they can go for assistance and support and to discuss personal issues.
- The development of a close working relationship between teachers and students.
- The development of leadership and communication skills in all students through their involvement in the program.
- A growing awareness of the importance of the concept that to lead is to serve, resulting in students hopefully becoming more involved in their communities throughout their lives.
- Contributing to the development of a friendly team spirit within the school.
- Empowering the students with the necessary knowledge and skills to make positive choices in their lives and to enrich the family unit.
- Younger students will appreciate at an early age the importance of self-discipline and the need to shoulder responsibility and be accountable for the decisions they make.
- The school will be perceived by all as a more positive, caring community, genuinely encouraging all students to reach their potential.