Aims of the Programme
Aims of a Generations Y and Z Peer Mentor Programme
- Integrate students so that they will settle quickly into a new community and feel safe and secure.
- Contribute towards an atmosphere of mutual trust, honesty and a feeling of unity in the school.
- Break down the barriers between senior and junior students, thus creating a family atmosphere within the school.
- Development of friendships for life.
- Develop leadership and communication skills of older students through their interactions with the Program Coordinator, other Peer Mentors and a group of younger students.
- Develop self-esteem and self-confidence, enabling students to stand up to negative peer pressure.
- Develop constructive and meaningful relationships between students and teachers.
- Encourage students away from truancy, alcohol, cigarette, drug and sexual activities.
- Encourage students to appreciate the importance of goal getting, completing homework and assignments on time, time management and teamwork.
- Encourage students to discuss either personal or community issues that concern them.
- Cultivate self-discipline and the maintenance of high moral standards.
- Teach students to become more effective listeners.
- Teach students how to handle stress and peer pressure.
- Equip students with the necessary skills to become negotiators, mediators and people of positive influence in their communities.
- Encourage students to share their experiences with family members and friends, thus contributing towards the strengthening of the family unit and creating an atmosphere of peace and support in the local and wider community.