To motivate, inspire and encourage young people (with a particular focus on ages 13 to 19) to become the best they can be.
Affirming and encouraging the ‘Spirit of Mentoring’; with an outcome where young people are guided and equipped to become the best they can be within the context of a safe, supportive and secure environment.
The YOUTH EMPOWERMENT SEMINARS (YES!) material has been developed in line with the findings of international and Australasian research about young people.
Research suggests that deep down most young people would like:
- They need to feel safe and secure.
- The more they are cared for, the more secure they feel.
- They need to be surrounded by people who care for, appreciate and accept them unconditionally.
- They need the positive influences of peers and adults to encourage them to do their best.
- They need to be encouraged to appreciate that they are more likely to become the best they can be when there are clear rules or boundaries in place (some of which can be negotiated). When they step over these boundaries there will be reasonable consequences.
- The more they are valued the more positive self-worth they experience.
- They need to be encouraged to feel they have some control over things that happen to them.
- Empowering them will be proof that they are valued, respected, liked and are regarded as valuable resources.
- They need fun time to interact with peers and adults, which involves the development of social skills.
- Their lives have significance.
- The more they understand that there is a reason for their existence, the more significant they will feel.
- They need encouragement to explore opportunities within and outside of school to learn and develop new skills and interests.
- They are encouraged to acquire a commitment to learning: academic success and the long-term value of learning will enhance their self-worth as they discover their gifts and talents.
- They need to appreciate and understand how to make the tough decisions and choices; how to cope with new situations.
- They need guidance to develop a positive view of the future.
Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can.John Wesley