10 Habits of Effective Mentees
1. Surround myself with positive friends.
2. Follow a hobby or interest during the next 30 days.
3. Exercise at least 30 minutes every alternative day (for at least 2.5 hours a week).
4. Spend at least 10 minutes a day reflecting about my life and purpose.
5. Have 9 hours sleep every night.
6. Join a youth, cultural or community club.
7. Seek three adults (in addition to my parents) I trust with my life and stay in touch with them.
8. Give my academic, school subjects or work experience priority in my life.
9. Set myself specific, measurable, intentional, limiting, extending, realistic and achievable goals, using short or small action steps.
10.Be myself – I am unique! Have fun and do nothing that could be potentially life-threatening.
These are they key habits anyone in a mentoring role can develop as they work alongside a young person. All the habits are described in more detail in Letter 2 a Teen – Becoming the best I can be which includes many more tips, ideas and strategies.