Do you know an influential person in a mobile phone company with a passion for encouraging adolescents to become the best they can be?
I am seeking such a person to discuss a partnership with me aimed at reaching as many young people as possible, the major outcome being to build a global community of young people who will make a positive difference in their local and wider communities.
I have collated 40 years of teaching, coaching and youth mentoring experience, which includes the development of youth mentoring programs in New Zealand and Australia, and linked that to the most recent adolescent brain research to develop 365 Daily Messages of HOPE and ENCOURAGEMENT for Adolescents. These are original messages, short and to the point, guiding young people to become the best they can be through a self-empowering, yet encouraging journey. If possible, I would also volunteer my time to offer online mentoring to young people needing direction, as long as all Child Protection policies were in place.
Having an App or anything similar would allow a young person to receive these daily messages each day at a time of their choosing. In partnership with a mobile phone company, the latter could have triggers to send from time to time to ensure the young person keeps receiving the messages, as the key to the success of this project is the ongoing reading of the messages.
The Daily Messages could also be received by parents, coaches, mentors and teachers (as examples) and discussed with their children and students to build a stronger community.
This concept has been supported by some of Australia’s leading psychologists, as well as leaders in the field of youth mentoring, parenting and youth development in Australia, New Zealand and the United States of America.
Key outcomes of this app:
- More positive behaviour amongst young people globally.
- The development of more effective relationship building skills amongst our young people.
- Young people develop resiliency as they develop high self-esteem and a positive self-image.
- More positive peer pressure in the lives of young people.
- Responsible use of Social Media and Technology.
- Equipping young people with the Employability skills needed for the 21st Century workplace: entrepreneurial, creative, innovative, teamwork, learning, communication, problem solving, using their initiative.
- Young people appreciate how positive goal getting can impact their lives, give them feelings of being cared for, valued and having lives that have positive meaning and purpose.
- Young people develop reflective skills, critical to their health and wellbeing.
- The development of leadership skills, as young people learn how to become people positively influencing others.
- The development of a generation of potential mentors through the Spirit of Mentoring that flows through these messages.
- A reduction in antisocial behaviour tendencies (eg, emotional/physical/cyber bullying), substance abuse, inappropriate sexual behaviour within young people’s communities.
- Supporting Neuroscience and adolescent development research linked to the developing adolescent brain*.
* Due to the plasticity of the brain, it can be changed by experiences. The frontal lobes make up 40% of the brain’s total volume. They are the seat of our ability to generate insight, judgment, abstraction, impulse control and planning. They are the source of self-awareness and our ability to assess dangers and risks, so we use this area of the brain to choose a course of action wisely. The frontal lobes are said to house the ‘Executive’ function of the human brain which only ceases developing in the mid-20s. So adolescents need repetition and to continually learn what responsible choices feel like, look like, sound like etc. When we are not stressed by negative emotions, we can control what information makes it to our brain. In addition, certain activities like interacting with friends, laughing, participating in physical activities and acting kindly increase the DOPAMINE (a chemical neurotransmitter) levels in the adolescent brain, which in turn, could boost the student’s learning and ability to process new information. Our brains release EXTRA Dopamine when an experience is enjoyable, one of the key objectives of these Messages to Inspire.
The wording of the Daily Messages each fortnight will aim to cover each of the key outcomes mentioned above.
Samples of the Messages would be:
- I am responsible for my thoughts, my choices and my actions. 🙂
- Your life journey is about becoming who you want to be with the support of people you trust and respect. 🙂
- I can envision or picture new horizons and possibilities of what I can achieve, which will probably involve moving out of my comfort zone. 🙂
- You can genuinely respect the viewpoints and opinions of others without putting them down if you disagree. 🙂
- You can choose to step back and count to 20 SLOWLY when you are angry with someone – and you’ll avoid a fight or hurting someone or saying something you might regret later. 🙂
- Your brain is still developing, so you will probably enjoy your adolescent times of challenge, creativity and novelty during which your experiences will shape your future – you are capable of choosing what is likely to be a good risk or a bad risk. 🙂
- My goal-getting journey can start with 7-day goals which I can set and, as I achieve my goals, I’ll discover that goal setting can become a positive and enjoyable habit. 🙂
- I can keep asking questions, LISTENING to the answers, showing respect and genuine interest at all times. 🙂
- You can find a mentor or older person you trust who will encourage and help you to follow your dreams. 🙂
- When you reach out to encourage another person to become the best they can be, two lives are positively enriched – yours and the other person. 🙂
- I can be a positive person of influence who never stops being a role-model to younger students. 🙂
- You can turn a setback into a positive opportunity or a new opportunity in your life. 🙂
- There IS a solution to every problem – don’t quit! 🙂
- You can remember that everything you post online is PUBLIC and it makes no difference if you delete the message/post/text. Once you have published it, it can be
traced back to you. 🙂
I have also launched a FREE Mentoring Minutes podcast. These are 260 episodes of approximately 2 to 3 minutes each to encourage and inspire anyone working with adolescents – parents, teachers, mentors, coaches, youth workers – and can be found at https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/mentoring-minutes/id1296540710
So, if you or anyone you know can assist in the 365 Daily Messages to make it a reality, please contact me either through messaging me at www.facebook.com/robin.coxmentor or on Twitter @million2016coxy or email@example.com